Friday, October 16, 2009

SO WE SHOT

I found this poem to be the most interesting to me. It is talking about all the different things that the soldiers shot in the war. After reading this poem I just thought to my self wow that is really gruesome. Its crazy to find out all the different animals and people that the soldiers shot during the war. He mentioned deer, pigs, turtles, water buffalo, tigers, elephants, and even women and children. For the reason of only boys being boys. It almost saddens me to the point to where i really feel sorry for all those women and children and all those families that were affected by the lost of loved ones. The part of the poem that hit me the most was the very last two sentences where he says "And if that were not enough, we shot each other. Then we went home and shot ourselves". It is a very deep poem and even disturbing to an extent. I enjoyed reading all of his poems he is a very powerful writer.

4 comments:

  1. i think this poem is really hard to read because it is so sad. as i read it i had all these sad images in my head. this shows just what the war did to these young boys. i agree this poem was deep and disturbing. i almost wrote about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree, those last lines were very hard to read. We will never be able to experience how they fhow felt. Imagine...if you were in their shoes, what would you do? This poem makes it clear that not a single one of them did this because they wantd to, it was their duty to their country. That makes this piece of literature so powerful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone else think this poem is VERY simple? I read it and i didn't feel any poetic meter in it but at the same time poetry isn't my strong suit. I do think,however, it is entertaining. Also, like a few have said already, that last part where it turns from "boys will be boys" to "VERY BAD" is its main emphasis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt as if this kind poem portrayed that many soldiers were still rather childish in the sense that for many soldiers the guilt of the people they murdered never got to them until far after the war ended.

    ReplyDelete