Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ain't Scared of your Jails


Watching the documentary about the beginnings of the civil rights movements opened up some interesting thoughts. I loved this film. The whole thing stood out because that time in history is an incredible American achievement for black people in America. It is hard to understand a hard time in history because sometimes it is too difficult to endure, or it does not seem like that big of a deal, or like this time period when America seemed to be an embarrassment. I loved the line where the mayor of Nashville, Tennessee said, "I answered that question morally since I am a man." He mentions this after answering very truthfully about how he disagrees that a person should not be discriminated in a restaurant or refused service based on the color of their skin. I loved Diane Nash and how she was the one who asked that question. I am ashamed of the time where people were so ignorant and even stubborn about the racism in America. How could anyone honestly treat a human as if he or she were a nobody.
The fact that the college students had so much bravery gave me the chills during this film. They were making a stand and doing what was constitutionally fair and right. The sit-ins were a brave step towards many movements to come like the bus boycotts and the freedom rides. I enjoyed this film thoroughly and hope to see more like it.

6 comments:

  1. great picture of a young diane nash, sam! glad you all enjoyed the film. it helps bring Dr. King's essay to life and give it context, i hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldnt imagine being the mayor of that town. There is no one choice that pleases everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how the mayor truthfully answered they question Diane NAsh asked of him. I feel like he should have done something to help them further though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how brave the students were. Also, great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, that took a lot of bravery on the mayor's part. He took a huge risk on both his political carer and possibly his life too just to say that.

    ReplyDelete