Friday, October 16, 2009

Boy in the Rice Paddy

How is it that poems can say so much but hide so much at the same time? I am not sure what to think of this poem. It is not beautiful, it is not fluid, but instead it is honest and fascinating. I suppose poetry can be used as therapy for people who have suffered from war but this poem suggests something else: sadness and terror. I especially like the line "eggshell skullback blown away," because it is descriptive to a very visual point. I can actually imagine this little boys head (unfortunately) blown away. I also thought the line "and the smile on the sniper's lips" is such a powerful personification in this poem. This poem is upsetting and I can just imagine a soldiers reaction after the war to such a terrible situation. Having to carry a dead little boy after he is dead--incredibly hard.

4 comments:

  1. I agree about the eggshell part, I felt the same way. His descriptive words painted a clear picture in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes throughout this poem he is pretty descriptive. it even puts some not so nice pictures in your head. it is very sad though. these soldiers whent through so much we can't even imagine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the one that stood out the most to me. It is a perfect example of what it really took to be a soldier. I can't even begin to fathom the psychological aspect of what a day-to-day soldier experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sam, i love your first question. so much paradox here too, right?

    ReplyDelete