Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Response To "Ain't Scared of Your Jails."


Documentaries are just short stories of past events. They give us a view from a specific event that we did not possess. It is there that we find the true feelings behind how the events actually affected people’s lives. As it is only through people who experience the event first hand, that we are able to make our true conclusion of what really happened.
In the documentary Ain’t scare of you jails we see an in depth look at the Civil Rights Movement in the U.S. The documentary showed me that people did truly care about what happened to those around them. For the longest time I wondered why none of the white Americans would stand up for something as simple a different skin color. It made me think about what I might do, and I would probably have been too scared to, but this is part of what affected people into making these poor decisions. One quote however, that stuck out to me was, “Be cool Mother.” These were the first words to come out of a protesting African American in the sit-ins movement. He continued to tell his mother that he was in jail for something he believed was right. This is something I believe we should all live by. As it is not a matter of what happens to you, because if you are doing something to defend what you believe is truly right, then you will never be ashamed.

1 comment:

  1. "One quote however, that stuck out to me was, “Be cool Mother.” These were the first words to come out of a protesting African American in the sit-ins movement. He continued to tell his mother that he was in jail for something he believed was right. This is something I believe we should all live by."

    I feel that the issues surrounding the civil rights movement were extremely unjust circumstances placed upon a group of people that deserved better. However I dont feel that every law that we as individuals see as wrong should be protested with the same passion and lack for personal safety.

    ReplyDelete